Hope you all had a good Easter and are dusting off your best frocks and morning suits for tomorrow’s royal nuptials. In the meantime here are a few bits from my world of writing over the last 10 days or so:
- Those of you who subscribe to The New Writer will have seen Simon Whaley’s piece about receiving 12 rejections from the same magazine, on the same day – each in its own stamped addressed envelope. This made me feel a whole lot better about my own rejections – my personal record being 4 stories turned down by My Weekly in the same email, which made me feel pretty bad at the time I can tell you.
- The results of the Readers Digest 100 word story competition are now out here. They are also showcasing several of the entries on a daily basis on their website – if yours has been selected please leave a comment with the link here so that we can all share your success!
- I had a phone call from the David St. John Charitable Trust this week to tell me that I had won a competition that I entered in November 2009 ! It just goes to show that you should never give up hope.
- If you’re feeling lucky there are 6 sets of 6 nature/outdoor books to be won in a Telegraph Prize Draw.
- Finally, I have a story in the April 30th issue of The Weekly News (2 short story acceptances within a month is something of a record for me!)
#1 by Susan Jones on April 28, 2011 - 5:14 pm
Congratulations on your successes Sally. Lots to look up in this post as well. Thanks for that. Could I add you to my list of versatile bloggers. http://www.susanjanejones.blogspot.com with no obligations to pick it up? Your posts are always full of great information, and interesting to read. Thanks again.
#2 by Patsy Collins on April 28, 2011 - 5:40 pm
My 100 word story is going up on the Reader’s Digest site – on 6th May, I think.
#3 by Sally Jenkins on April 28, 2011 - 7:33 pm
Susan – it would be an honour to be on your list of versatile bloggers
Patsy – great stuff! I look forward to reading your story.
#4 by Tracy Fells on May 1, 2011 - 3:36 pm
Well done on short story success. Also some good links – particularly to Readers Digest 100 word competition. I entered this and did wonder when results coming out. Also loved reading about your trip to Plymouth – my home town! Hope you enjoyed your visit.
#5 by Sally Jenkins on May 1, 2011 - 6:21 pm
Tracy – thanks for the kind words and seeing as you’ve got links to the West Country watch my blog later in the year when I’ll be promoting the next West Country Writers’ Association Bursary competition. This offers the chance to win a free place at the Association’s Congress weekend.