An Acceptance from People’s Friend!

I had a lovely email from People’s Friend this week accepting a story.

The story was one of my favourites (you know how you get those sometimes – no matter how many rejections a story attracts, you keep tweaking and re-submitting because you think there’s something special about it and all you need to do is find the right market). This one started life as a competition entry and has been almost completely rewritten on its journey via Woman’s Weekly and My Weekly. Finally, People’s Friend asked for two lots of changes to make it fit their readership.

The acceptance email said it now had ‘the perfect balance of romance and emotion’. So all that remains is to recreate that same balancing act in another story!

I’ve no idea when it will appear in print – it’s gone into the magazine’s ‘story stock drawer’.

, ,

1. #1 by blogaboutwriting on June 7, 2012 - 11:20 am

Well done, Sally. Obviously you don’t want to give the whole plot away, but remind me which story it is again?

• #2 by Sally Jenkins on June 7, 2012 - 11:57 am

Very briefly, Helen, its about someone who goes out with a wannabe popstar as a teenager and then 30 years later the wannabe popstar hits the big time.

2. #3 by Julia on June 7, 2012 - 11:22 am

Well done. It just goes to show how perseverence pays off.

3. #5 by Jim Williams on June 7, 2012 - 12:19 pm

It is nice to hear of your success with this story and I hope it will encourage you to more

4. #6 by Meg on June 7, 2012 - 12:22 pm

Congratulations, Sally. I’ll be looking out for it.

5. #8 by Heather Musk on June 7, 2012 - 12:44 pm

Congratulations Sally! It’s hearing stories like this that keep me going with my own writing.

6. #9 by Tracy Fells on June 7, 2012 - 1:12 pm

Brilliant news Sally and once again proves never to give up on a story, particularly if it’s a favourite. People’s Friend are very VERY selective so this is a BIG achievement – hope you are celebrating. And let us know when story is coming out 🙂

7. #10 by Laith on June 7, 2012 - 1:18 pm

Congratulations! Glad to hear a success story.

8. #11 by Carl Peters on June 7, 2012 - 2:11 pm

Well done! Perseverance most definitely. I’ve just submitted a story to Asimov’s Magazine, am awaiting response with baited breath….

9. #12 by Debbie on June 7, 2012 - 2:31 pm

Congratulations Sally! Let us know when it goes in.

10. #13 by Gary Dalkin on June 7, 2012 - 2:47 pm

Congratulations Sally. I didn’t know the People’s Friend was still around. I know it was very popular and hope it still is and they pay well!

11. #14 by Margaret Bemrose on June 7, 2012 - 2:58 pm

Congratulations Sally, that’s billiant news for you.

12. #15 by bevmorley on June 7, 2012 - 3:09 pm

Congratulations Sally. I look forward to reading it :o)

13. #16 by susanjanejones on June 7, 2012 - 4:37 pm

How exciting Sally. I think there’s a trend with stories set in the 60’s and 70’s at the moment. I have People’s Friend most weeks. They’re my favourite story magazine. Will look out for it. Did you write in your own name? So pleased for you…

• #17 by Sally Jenkins on June 7, 2012 - 5:06 pm

Thanks to you all for your kind words! Yes, Susan, I write under my own name (I want that 15 mins of fame!). Part of the story is set in the 1980s and part in the present day. Good Luck to all of you with your submissions too & do let me know how you get on.

14. #18 by Keith Havers on June 7, 2012 - 5:05 pm

PF are very hard to please. Well done.

15. #19 by Vikki (The View Outside) on June 8, 2012 - 9:09 am

CONGRATULATIONS! 🙂

Xx

16. #21 by aliceinwritingland on June 8, 2012 - 7:08 pm

I’ll add my congratulations too – fantastic news!

17. #22 by Angela Greenwood on June 8, 2012 - 7:40 pm

Me too – well done Sally!

18. #23 by Debbie W on June 18, 2012 - 1:16 pm

Bit late to join in here but well done on cracking that tough nut PF, Sally. You have inspired me to dig out one of my favourites and get to work on it again. Thanks.

19. #25 by Anne Harvey on June 18, 2012 - 6:56 pm

Just got around to reading your blog. Well done, Sally!

20. #27 by jean on July 16, 2012 - 2:49 pm

Congratulations Sally. I know PF is part of DC Thomson. They used to have a policy of payment on acceptance. Does that still apply?

• #28 by Sally Jenkins on July 16, 2012 - 7:12 pm

It certainly applies to PF, Jean. I’ve been paid for my story but have no idea when it will appear.