Sonnet or Not Competition 2012

Cannon Poets are once again running their ‘Sonnet or Not’ competition. You are invited to enter poems of 14 lines in length. The poem can be in a traditional sonnet form or you can experiment with alternative 14 line forms such as half rhyme or blank verse.

First prize is £300, second prize £150 and third prize £100. Entry is £4.00 for the first poem and £2.50 for each additional poem – there is no limit to the number of poems you can enter.

The judge is Julie Boden, who is currently Poet in Residence at Symphony Hall, Birmingham.

Closing date is 31 October 2012. Full details, including a downloadable entry form, are here.

Or, if you prefer flash fiction to poetry, pop over to Helen Yendall’s blog and read all about the free competition that she’s running.

, , ,

1. #1 by shirleyelmokadem on September 4, 2012 - 11:05 am

Spooky! I was just reading online about this competition.

• #2 by Sally Jenkins on September 4, 2012 - 12:26 pm

Best of luck if you have a go, Shirley. I know the quality of your work is good from what I saw in Writers’ Forum.

2. #3 by blogaboutwriting on September 4, 2012 - 11:13 am

Thanks for the plug, Sally! Every year I say I’m going to enter that Cannon Poets competition and I never do but this year I AM – so thanks for the reminder too!

• #4 by Sally Jenkins on September 4, 2012 - 12:28 pm

Let us know if you get a placing, Helen.

3. #5 by susanjanejones on September 4, 2012 - 4:22 pm

Thanks for pointing it out Helen, might have a go.

4. #6 by susanjanejones on September 4, 2012 - 4:23 pm

Sally, sorry, it’s because I saw Helen’s photo. Might have a go Sally.