Walk the Cleveland Way – Accommodation, Attractions and Advice

Regular readers of this blog will know that I enjoy walking, especially long walks. Walk the Cleveland WayGetting outside in the fresh air for the day is a great way to unwind and a complete contrast to sitting in front of the computer all day (which I do for my ‘day’ job, as well as when I’m writing).

In August 2013, my husband and I walked the 109 mile Cleveland Way in North Yorkshire over ten days. It’s a fabulous route because the first half meanders over the deserted moors where you’re lucky to even find even a solitary tea shop but, in contrast, the second half is along the coast through bustling resorts like Whitby and Scarborough. This path is also great for beginners because the signposting is excellent – so you are unlikely to get lost (but a map is always advisable, just in case …).

I may like the fresh air but I’m definitely not a backpacker. We stayed in comfortable guest houses and small hotels and had our luggage transported. So we carried only day-sacks and our suitcases were waiting when we arrived at the next overnight stop. All we had to do was hop in the shower and wash away the weariness of the day before changing for our evening meal. And there was always a great cooked breakfast to look forward to the next morning …

Being a writer, I carried a notebook for the 10 days we were walking and I jotted down everything about our trip, from details of the English Heritage properties we found along the route to the tea shops providing good cakes and the display of knitting we found on Saltburn pier. It seemed a waste to keep all this information to myself – it’s all stuff we would have found useful when deciding if this was a holiday we would enjoy and would have helped us in the planning too.

So, I typed it all up into a coherent format, used one of the photos from our trip as the basis for the cover and published it on Kindle.

It’s now available for you to gaze at in awe, ‘look inside’, borrow for free (if you’re in Amazon Prime or  Kindle Unlimited) or even purchase. Simply click here.

If you fancy returning from holiday with a clear head, feeling fit and strong (despite eating many cakes and cooked breakfasts!) then I recommend the Cleveland Way to you.

, , , , , , , , ,

1. #1 by Anne Harvey on November 25, 2014 - 2:59 pm

What a fantastic idea to write about your experiences and to publish it. I’m full of admiration about your bright ideas. I wish I was so blessed but it takes me all my time to write a blog!

• #2 by Sally Jenkins on November 25, 2014 - 3:07 pm

Thanks, Anne. It’s quite a niche subject so I’m not sure if I’ll sell many, but they say that the only way to sell more e-books is to write more e-books. Soon I’ll have a whole e-empire (or maybe not!)

2. #3 by Linda on November 26, 2014 - 12:13 pm

It looks very useful, good luck with it. I’ve enjoyed several holidays in this part of the country and have walked on short stretches of the Cleveland Way, but hadn’t thought of doing the whole route. My backpacking days are over too!

• #4 by Sally Jenkins on November 27, 2014 - 8:33 am

Walking the route in short stretches is another way to do it, Linda. It will make it seem more achievable and you still get to enjoy all the lovely scenery.

3. #5 by Tracy Fells on November 27, 2014 - 9:51 am

Lovely idea to turn this into a book. If I lived closer I’d be buying this and doing the walk. Can you come and do the South Downs Way next – you can pop in when you pass my village 🙂

• #6 by Sally Jenkins on November 27, 2014 - 6:14 pm

I’ll bear that in mind when we look for our next walk, Tracy!

4. #7 by hilarycustancegreen on November 27, 2014 - 9:37 pm

I am in awe – 109 miles! and to keep a record. I would have been asleep within minutes of stopping each day.

• #8 by Sally Jenkins on November 28, 2014 - 5:01 pm

All the fresh air does aid a good night’s sleep, Hilary!

5. #9 by Nicola on November 30, 2014 - 4:23 pm

I feel ashamed 😦 My walking spats are extremely short – 45 minutes on a good day. But I do use the time to reflect – when I am sat between cafés or on my favourite bench by the local stream 🙂 I will most definitely be adding ‘Walk more and for longer’ to my new year’s resolutions list.

• #10 by Sally Jenkins on November 30, 2014 - 4:51 pm

I’m sure 45 minutes everyday is enough to keep you healthy, Nicola. But it’s always worth aiming high – so good luck with that resolution!