Still Waiting for News

Slo-cooker marmalade

Last November I mentioned my novel was out on submission. It still is. Off it went to seven publishers and the responses have dribbled back. So far there have been four rejections and three publishers still to hear from. For many of us ‘getting an agent’ is the pinnacle for which we aim and we assume that after we’ve achieved that, everything will fall into place and we will become successful, traditionally published authors. Be warned: that is not always the case! However, hope springs eternal …

In the meantime I’m finding it hard to focus on a brand new novel and my ability to write short stories seems to have gone AWOL. So I’m keeping my writing brain in gear by producing short articles for The People’s Friend and the Mirthy website. Obviously this is not as glamorous as having a novel published but at least I’m no longer writing on spec and am getting paid for my words.

I am also considering doing Alison May’s ‘Re-ignite Your Creativity and Find Your Voice’ online course in order to kick the fiction part of my brain back into gear. But first I need to find some space between the day jobs and my other commitments …

In other news, we’ve been making marmalade in our house.

My husband and I do this every year and it takes hours of simmering the peel and filling the kitchen with steam. This year we used the slo-cooker to cook the peel overnight and it made things a lot easier, quicker and kept the windows free of condensation. The recipe is here – a bit late for this year’s Seville oranges but, if you’re a marmalade love, save it for next year.

, , ,

1. #1 by gailaldwin on February 24, 2022 - 4:27 pm

Fingers crossed you get good news from one of the publishers.

2. #3 by Stuart Danker on February 24, 2022 - 11:16 pm

Oh yeah, it’s always the waiting, isn’t it? Doesn’t matter if it’s novels or short stories. It’s always wait, wait wait. Hoping that you get good news soon!

• #4 by Sally Jenkins on February 25, 2022 - 11:05 am

Thanks, Stuart. You are spot on – the publishing business involves so much waiting for news!

3. #5 by Shirley Stow on February 25, 2022 - 9:19 am

What a shame more new authors are not accepted. It is good to read different story lines from those we are used to from more acknowledged writers.

• #6 by Sally Jenkins on February 25, 2022 - 11:12 am

Thanks, Shirley. Unfortunately new writers are very risky financially for publishers whilst established authors can be guaranteed money-spinners. The established authors are needed to finance the risk of taking on a new writer.

4. #7 by lynnforthauthor on February 25, 2022 - 11:55 am

I feel your frustration Sally. My next novel is out to 6 publishers … so many are closed at the moment because of a surfeit of submissions over lockdown. I have had one rejection and no news at all from the others. In a way it’s reassuring we are both in the same boat…. but I wish we weren’t. Good luck.

• #8 by Sally Jenkins on February 25, 2022 - 2:17 pm

Thanks, Lynn. Fingers crossed for both of us and let me know how you get on!

• #9 by lynnforthauthor on February 26, 2022 - 12:16 pm

Will do, Sally. If nothing happens soon, I’m going to explore the self publishing route.

5. #10 by Sharon boothroyd on February 25, 2022 - 3:35 pm

Sending good luck, Sally. I haven’t fancied attempting a novel because if it’s not accepted, it’s around a year’s worth of work. I guess there’s always the self- publishing option but there’s no guarantee of making mega bucks there, either, especially if the writer pays for editing, cover design, e- formatting and publishing on different digital platforms.
    At least when a short story is rejected, it is just a short story!

• #11 by Sally Jenkins on February 25, 2022 - 3:46 pm

Totally see your point of view, Sharon!
      If this one fails to sell, I’m undecided whether or not to try writing another novel. As you say, it could be another year of wasted work!

6. #12 by emyatt2015seasidescribbler on February 28, 2022 - 9:26 pm

Good luck with the novel!

7. #14 by emyatt2015seasidescribbler on February 28, 2022 - 9:26 pm

The marmalade looks amazing!!! Wish I lived a bit closer….